Hello First Grade Parents,
Wow! I cannot believe Thanksgiving is almost here and this is our 11th week of school. The weather has definitely turned cooler. Please send a jacket with your child for the chilly mornings. Don't forget to label all clothing with your child's first and last name. If your child is missing something, please be sure to check the lost and found table.
- We will not have spelling practice or reading groups in first grade this week. We will be doing some reading assessments in preparation for report cards.
- I will be sending an email for conference sign-ups very soon. Please be on the look out for it. The spots will fill up fast!
- Students will have homework Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, but not Thursday since this is the beginning of our Fall break. If your child chooses to read over Thanksgiving break and documents it on their reading log, I will give a prize for all students that read at least 5 days for 20 minutes each day.
Last week in first grade:
- We learned how to identify consonant digraphs, nouns, and closed syllables.
- We used a tree map and a bubble map to pre-write for our Thanksgiving writing.
- We presented our Community Helpers posters to our class, Mrs. Bloomfield's 2nd grade class, and Mrs. de Leon's 6th grade class.
- We will continue to talk about consonant digraphs, nouns, and closed syllables in preparation for assessments.
- We will write our final drafts for our Thanksgiving writing.
- We will create a "Where in the world do we live and who is in charge?" flip book.
A Math Message from Mrs. Bloomfield:
This week in first grade the students used Number Bonds to create fact families. A picture of our fact families was posted on the Oasis Facebook page, check them out! They also reviewed methods of subtraction and completed several mini assessments throughout the week.
Mrs. Bloomfield continues to have the students write answer statements when they are problem solving. Answer statements fit in perfectly with “Format Matters” which we use when answering a question.
This week we will work on the correlation between addition and subtraction, using a number line and a hundred chart to count on or back and focus on subtraction equations.
Homework for November 13th -16th
IXL - H. 1 Subtraction facts Numbers up to 10
IXL - H.5 Complete the subtraction sentence
IXL - H. 6 Subtraction Word Problems up to 10
No Homework - Happy Thanksgiving & Fall Break!
Have a happy and safe Thanksgiving!
~Mrs. Jackson and Mrs. Bloomfield~